Sunday, May 12, 2013

Twins


            I grew up with a twin. 

            I can remember one fellow at our church telling me that the only way he could tell the twins apart was by their glasses.  They probably never did get the same glasses, but they used to keep lists of clothing they had which was identical and would sometimes consult one another by phone when they wanted to dress alike for church and on other occasions.  They not only were twins, but they played the parts of twins.  Even so, I never had any problem telling them apart.  One of them was my mother. 

            Most people have a hard time telling identical twins apart.  Sometimes, even if they’re not identical, I have a hard time remembering which name goes with the taller one.  Of course, it gets much simpler if one is a boy and the other is a girl.  The problem is that we tend to see them as a unit rather than as individuals.  Once, a few years ago, I was out at a restaurant in Portland (where the twins live) with my mother, and someone my mother didn’t know called her by my aunt’s name. 

            There was a pair of twins in my high school, and I only learned to distinguish them after one of them was in a play I was in.  Getting to know one personally was what made the difference. 

            God can always tell us apart.  He always deals with us as individuals.  He always values us. But, in a way, He’d like to make twins out of us.  It’s His intention that we grow to resemble our brother, Jesus.  We’ll know we’ve made it when no one can tell us apart.  Now, there would be a set of twins! 

 
Happy Mother’s Day to the twins:  Bernita Fae Bever Levellie and Bertha Mae Bever Hunt.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessed thought. I know both ladies and couldn't help smile, remembering the two together at Central Christian Church. Just as you said, they loved one another and they loved being twins. I will always remember the twinkle in their eyes as they waited for you to decide which one you were speaking to. Though, it really wasn't as hard as some believed. It really only took getting to know them. And I am glad I did. :)

    ReplyDelete