Friday, May 17, 2013

More Than A Story


            If you’ve grown up in the church, as I did, you know the many miracle stories of Jesus.  I think one that most impressed me as a child was the one about Jesus walking on the water (see John 6:16-21).  I tried to imagine myself walking across the surface of a swimming pool once when I was a child, but even my imagination couldn’t stuff myself into that story. 

            This is one of a handful of nature miracles Jesus performed where He demonstrated His deity through His control of natural forces which even now have never been tamed by man.  Indian fakirs have walked over hot coals and beds of nails, but none have ever walked on the surface of the water.  That was an accomplishment for Jesus alone. 

            So, where do we come in?  Something that Jesus did centuries ago makes for a “good story”, but hardly anything else to so many people.  The scriptures make no claim that we will be able to duplicate this.  If we can’t do it, what could the application be? 

            That comes in putting ourselves in the position of the disciples.  They were in a boat that was having a hard time making it to land.  They were so discombobulated that Matthew tells us they thought Jesus was a ghost when they saw him on the water.  They didn’t ask Him for anything, but they could have.  What they might have requested are things we can request.  They make a good three-part prayer for the next time you’re in a storm of any kind: 

  • Jesus, get in my boat. 
  • Still my storm. 
  • Bring me to shore

            This is more than a story because Jesus is more than the storm.  Is He in your boat or are you willing to let him walk on by? 

No comments:

Post a Comment